Monday, November 16, 2009

Project as of Now, and Probably Forever

My project involves creating an installation that provokes new ways of thinking about personal decision-making and what influences those decisions in our culture. I plan to compare two personal choices I have made in my life to evaluate and present the concept. First is my decision to hunt, and second is my decision to become a vegan. These two decisions I have made are directly effected by the way I have been raised and the experiences I have had growing up, yet they are very contradicting ideas. The project’s goal is to offer insight into ones control of free will and independent thought in a society that is so strongly based on pre-established values.

            The work I have done up to this point has been mostly collage. Constructing these images has helped me develop my concept and also pushed me to create an installation. Because my concept is very heavily based on questioning cultural norms, I think it is important to push myself to create work that also questions traditional forms of making and presenting my work.

            I plan to build the installation in a grid of small paper pyramids (constructed on a plane). The pyramids will be set on a slightly elevated base so that viewers can look down on the piece at about knee height. Two images will be formed within the grid to appear as a flat image when looking at the grid from a specific angle. These two images will exist in the same grid but both cannot be seen at the same time. The 3-D pyramids will allow fragments of each image to create abstract shapes and forms when viewing the grid from different points of view. 

1 comment:

  1. Doug,

    Let's see some new posts on the blog man! I'm sure there's been a lot of development since this last one. Try to get some images of the most recent work, writing about the concept and thoughts about eventual presentation each week. We'll all be following the blogs as individual meetings become less frequent.

    ReplyDelete